A Look At Our Town
Cool Things to do in Jackson MS
- One of three pre Civil War structures still standing: the Old Capitol. The Old Capitol was built in 1839 and restored to its original appearance. The new capitol building took its place in 1903.
- The Eudora Welty Library’s namesake won the Pulitzer prize in 1973 for the book “The Optimist’s Daughter, and her home is a museum as well.
- The King Edward Apartments was built as a 5-star hotel in 1923 and is repurposed into luxury apartments.
- The Standard Life Building was built in 1919 in the art deco style. It’s the fourth largest building in Jackson and was the largest concrete building globally at one time.
- During World War Two, the Army used Hawkins Field, and the Netherlands had their flying school there.
- Malaco Records releases gospel, blues, and soul records and owns a recording studio. It’s known all over the world.
- You can’t see it, but there’s an ancient extinct volcano that sits 2,900 feet under the Mississippi Coliseum.
- Spend an afternoon taking in all the great works of art at the Mississippi Museum of Art.
- The Mississippi Childrens’ Museum is a hands-on experience for the kids with art and science sections.
- The Jackson Zoo is world-class, with a zoo train the whole family will love. \
- Mississippi Museum of Natural Science will appeal to the nature lover and scientist in you.
- You’ll have a great time at LeFleur’s Bluff State Park fishing, camping, and golfing.
- Take a look at the replica 1920s town at Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum.
- Trace the history of the civil rights movement at the Museum of Mississippi History
- Relax and take in the flora at the Mynelle Gardens Arboretum & Botanical Center
Old Capitol https://goo.gl/maps/q9xhXYugy9qAkPa79
Eudora Welty Library https://goo.gl/maps/4Kv6LdZhwpogCAA6A
King Edward Apartments https://goo.gl/maps/qFNqMuDrbYoLF8BL6
Standard Life Building https://goo.gl/maps/aH7zQV58hSAVJ5kS8
Hawkins Field https://goo.gl/maps/s4bPG98Lr1vstnXz7
Malaco Records https://goo.gl/maps/gRJwoRQMr2f8T7Fk6
Mississippi Coliseum https://goo.gl/maps/KSizAmLSoTKqorjz5
Mississippi Museum of Art https://goo.gl/maps/CjyTJRyQBkYzsN6f9
Mississippi Children’s Museum https://goo.gl/maps/LzDCcJJ3g5uZTFQ98
The Jackson Zoo https://goo.gl/maps/nje45xuX4K9NWQAcA
Mississippi Museum of Natural Science https://goo.gl/maps/5nTknW9VKB132VYu6
LeFleur’s Bluff State Park https://goo.gl/maps/NMt9fzZddj6dRezN7
Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum https://goo.gl/maps/P2iEu6TFi2ttzHss8
Museum of Mississippi History https://goo.gl/maps/xRjnafPZRSJQy4Qs9
Mynelle Gardens Arboretum & Botanical Center https://goo.gl/maps/sAHWJJNAqnX8qxqs8