Towns We Serve: Ridgeland MS
Towns We Serve Richland MS
In 1805, the Choctaw Indian Agency was situated in what is now Ridgeland. The King’s Inn hotel was offices for General Stephen Lee during the War Between the States. After that it was once again an inn up until destroyed by fire in 1896 In 1853, James B Yellowley founded the area of Yellowley’s Crossing. In 1896, 2 real estate men bought the land from Yellowley and developed the Highland Colony Business. Plans for a community called Ridgeland were made, and a marketing campaign lured northerners to relocate south. Agriculture was the area’s leading revenue resource, with pears and strawberries as the commodities. In the very early 20th century, Ridgeland had a hotel, sawmill, and cannery. The business section was on Jackson Street, along the Illinois Central Railway. In 1910 a two-room school was developed and combined with Madison in 1925.